Education and Development OfficerNC REAL ESTATE COMMISSION
Education and Development Officer
General Statement of Duties
Performs administrative, coordinative, supervisory, and professional adult education and training work with the Education and Licensing Division for the Real Estate Commission.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
An employee in this class is charged with performing highly responsible adult education duties. Professional education work involves curriculum and resource materials development, evaluation and approval of instructors, and conducting training sessions. Considerable knowledge of adult education training principles and theories, as well as analytical and creative skills are required. Objective judgement, initiative, time management, and organizational skills are also needed to effectively perform the work. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Education and Licensing and is evaluated through biannual evaluations, biweekly meetings, overall quality and efficiency of programs, and feedback from the public served.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Tasks:
- Designs and develops curriculum and instructional resources for Commission programs and courses under the supervision of the Director of Education and Licensing.
- Collaborates with the Continuing Education Officer, Education and Examination Officer, Legal Education Officer, and License Services Officer, as well as other Commission staff members, to develop instructional resources that will support and supplement various Commission education programs.
- Conducts various classroom and web-based instructor and broker training programs such as the Instructor Development Workshop, New Instructor Seminar, and 12-hour Broker-in-Charge Course.
- Serves as the point of contact for disseminating information and providing general assistance to instructor applicants and evaluates teaching skills of those applicants during the New Instructor Seminar.
- Monitors and evaluates approved instructors when appropriate.
- Participates in various advisory committees.
Additional Job Duties:
- Performs related duties as required.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of principles and theories of adult education, as well as educational trends, developments, and instructional methods and practices.
- Demonstrated superior instructional skills.
- Considerable experience in working collaboratively on a team and proven experience as a team player.
- Proven experience in instructional design technology and various digital instructional tools.
- Aptitude for learning and using multiple systems.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills; ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences.
- Attention to detail; ability to develop accurate educational materials.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational and administrative skills, including the ability to organize and perform detailed work accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, peers and subordinates, as well as with licensees, the general public, Real Estate Commission, advisory committee members, education providers, and members of other organizations.
- Ability to explain policies relating to real estate education.
- Ability to research instructional tools that are best suited for the diverse needs of adult learners and implement those tools while designing educational resources for professional staff.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe.
- Proficient in the use of PowerPoint, Prezi, or similar presentation software.
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of typing, talking, hearing, and repetitive motion.
- Must be able to perform sedentary work exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
- Must possess the visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and reports, to read extensively, and to operate a computer.
Desirable Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree, and considerable experience in teaching and curriculum development, preferably with adult education; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Course work and/or experience in adult education, especially experience in real estate education, is preferred.
- Possession of a North Carolina Estate Broker license and a Master’s degree in Adult Education, Education, Instructional Design, Educational Technology are preferred.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina Driver License without restrictions.